Friday, June 19, 2009

A few happenings

This past week, I have been lost twice doing my trail runs, a discovery process of how I can run off road - across fields, down bridlepaths, and even once cutting through private property - in the surrounding environs of my house. So my mileage has inadvertently increased to about 5-7 miles each time, but I have also been pleasantly surprised to feel strong throughout the entire workout and to maintain the same average mile pace as on my shorter runs. Running three times a week and attending yoga twice a week are really turning out to be a good combination for me.

On Thursday night, I saw The Phantom of the Opera at Her Majesty's Theatre in London with some friends. I remember seeing Phantom in California during high school, but I haven't seen it since. I was blown away. The production was spectacular, and everything was spot on. I am so glad I went, and I would definitely recommend it to others as something to do in London.

I have been cooking a lot lately, for several reasons: to save money, to help lose some weight, and because I have the time/am home for at least 2/3 of my meals. Some of my favourite successes recently have been herbed lamb burgers, spicy sweet potato fries, spiced carrot and sweet potato soup, homemade lasagna and various preparation of chicken to eat on salads for lunch. Our vegetable garden is doing quite well of late, and I get to have lettuce and herbs fresh from the garden. I use "our" loosely. Victoria is really the one who has planted and maintained it. I just reap the benefits!

Here is our backyard

This is the vegetable garden, which has strawberries, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes, broad beans, herbs, lettuce, spinach and other things I am probably forgetting!

Pet koi fish, nicknamed Jaws

As I enter into next week, I am a little stressed. I am worried about not being prepared enough for the 5 day wine course and culminating exam (there really is a lot of specific information I need to be able to write out essay-style. For those of you who think I know a lot about wine, I know nothing compared to what I should know!). I also have my second round interview for a job that I want (or at least want to be offered), and then immediately after the wine course I leave for a 3 week holiday to Spain which is not as planned out as I would prefer.

So even though things are good, and I am enjoying life, I hope to feel a bit more settled in another month or so...

2 comments:

Tim said...

Keep up the running! Way to go! Let me know if you want a running partner some day when we're both actually in the UK at the same time!

Rachel H. said...

Nice work on the runs. 5-7 is a long way to go. I'm barely at 4 right now.

Your back yard is gorgeous btw. Love it!