Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Office Space!

No, not the movie (although it is a classic). I just wanted to share with everyone that when I say that I'm going into the office, or you see something to that effect on googlechat or facebook, it's not because I have a job but it's the next best thing...

One of the benefits of my redundancy package is 6 months of access to services provided by DBM, an outplacement company. My previous employer has paid generously into this scheme and as my personal consultant told me at our first meeting, he has never seen anyone use up all the credit that I have in the 6 months that I have to use it.

It basically works like a pre-paid plan, where I have a total number of units, and then each service I use debits a certain amount. A sample of these services are: a 4 hour seminar on developing a Job Search Strategy, a 2-day seminar on starting your own business, personal consultation on my CV and/or cover letters, and access to their online portal of SkillSoft learning programs, CV samples, and job postings. But my favourite resource, by far, is access to office space!

There are two DBM offices in Central London, one near Bank tube stop (very close to my old offices) and the other in Mayfair (think posh area near Green Park). In both of these offices, I can come in at any time M-F 8-5 and have a desk, a computer, Internet access, printing, photocopying, postage, stationary, coffee, tea, etc. This is fantastic for several reasons:
  1. I don't have a printer at home and had no way to print CV's
  2. Working on my cute little laptop (of late, nicknamed 'Lil Red) for several hours a day is not ideal, particularly since it doesn't have MS Word and always converting my CV from MS Works or Open Office into Word is not ideal for obvious formatting reasons
  3. Coming into the London offices can provide structure for my job search, geographically separating home from office, and allowing me to focus more effectively on creating different versions of my CV, doing online training, etc when I am physically in the office, dressed and acting the part of a professional
  4. I am scheduling several lunch and drinks plans with friends and colleagues and this office space gives me a place to be during the day instead of coming into London just to meet up with people (and potentially have plans changed or canceled)

So, for these reasons, and many more, I hope you can understand my nerdy excitement. I mean, it's not like I have to be here every day, or wake up early to get here.... My plan is to come into the office a few days each week, and over the next two weeks before I fly back to Boston, I already have a few seminars booked and things to do online where the office resources will be helpful.

1 comment:

eva said...

This nerdy friend thinks that sounds pretty darn cool. :)