Thursday, April 24, 2008

On old wine

I had a glass of 80 year old wine tonight after dinner at Le Cercle with Dylan. Life is good.

***

I feel that I should clarify this. What I actually had is the Maury 1928 Solera, which is a fortified wine made from red grapes (Grenache Gris, Grenache Noir, Carignan) but aged in a Sherry-like solera style: 600 litre barrels are used and each year a bit of wine is taken off and replaced with new wine. The original solera at the Maury co-op started in 1928, so each bottle contains a bit from the 1928 mother wine. It's a deep red/brown colour with a delicious Christmas cake and raisin nose, together with some caramel notes. The palate is dense and raisined, with coffee and treacle notes. Complex, sweet and not too sickly; a real treat. (Source)

So while not completely from 1928, it was still fantastic. By the bottle it's about £45 ($90) at a restaurant, but we had it by the glass for £9.50.

3 comments:

Brett said...

How much was it? I didn't even know that they *made* wine back in 1930.

Anonymous said...

Most of the 80 year olds I know don't whine very much anymore.

lac_14 said...

Oh I'm going to miss you in SF by about a week! Enjoy!