Monday, March 03, 2008

Speed the Plow at the Old Vic

Tonight I saw Speed the Plow at the Old Vic near Waterloo. I was really excited to see this play, starring Kevin Spacey and Jeff Goldblum - mostly because I really like both of those actors. Once Kevin Spacey took over the Old Vic theatre as managing producer or something last year, I had always wanted to see something there. It's a beautiful theatre, well restored but still retains quirks like faintly creaking floorboards in the hallway. There are bars on each level, despite it being a relatively small theatre, and I was surprised at how crowded the pre-theatre scene was.

Anyway, the play was really good. With only three characters and no intermission, I was impressed with the sustained level of energy! Jeff Goldblum's character was in every scene! I had a seat very high up, towards the back - the only seat I could get at this practically sold out show, which is why I went by myself on a Monday night. I had a clear view of the stage though, and I was on the aisle, so didn't feel too crowded. Being on my own, I didn't go out afterwards, as much as I would have like to for a few drinks. I was all dressed up too! (which I partly do out of respect, kind of like going to church, it shows that you think what you are attending is worth you putting in the effort to look your best). Never mind though. I'm sick with a cold and home early, and tomorrow I have a client interview. This is definitely one of the perks of living in London though, and I'm going to make an effort to see more plays over the next eight months.

No comments: