I'm going to subsequently refer to this as my Year Off or my LOA, although I'm actually only taking 11 months. It will start at the beginning of October 2008 and I will return to work the following 1 September 2009. This also means that I'm not going to be working during my last year in my 20s, and I personally think that this is a fabulous way to celebrate everything I've achieved so far with a bit of 'me time'.
The LOA is unpaid, although I retain my UK work permit and visa (which is contingent on my employment with this particular Big Consulting Company). I've been specifically saving for this (well, for something) since last September and I am prepared to pay myself a monthly income that will allow me to live comfortably enough for the year, although not in the UK. I will come back through the UK at times to see friends and get stuff in/out of storage, but I'm planning on spending the rest of the time in (current list) Costa Rica and environs, California and France, with other countries to be added I'm sure.
The only part of the LOA that I have specifically planned out at this point is:
- October: Parents visiting London for 2 weeks; me packing/storing stuff; fly back to US
- November: Costa Rica
- December: Costa Rica till mid-Dec; California for Christmas and New Years
- January-August: Some time (1-4 months?) in France taking French classes and sitting in cafes and drinking wine; everything else TBD!
- September 2009: Start work on 1 Sept and start planning my 30th birthday celebration for the end of the month!
At this point I really want to leave large chunks unplanned, not least because it really doesn't need to be planned so far in advance, but also because I think once I'm actually away from work, and I'm well-rested, in good shape, and clearly thinking, I will probably have motivation to do things with my time off that at this point I can't quite imagine. Whether it be more travel or doing temporary work of some sort (*not* IT or consulting related!!!) remains to be seen. Right now I'd just be happy coming back to the UK with a nice tan.
Expect more posts about this in the future, and of course I'm hoping several people will be able to meet up with me along the way, or put me up when I am passing through!

5 comments:
Wow! it is always an interesting journey following your blog:)... been a visitor since the Indian sojourn... hope you don't mind...
Congrats! and look forward to more of these wonderful adventures... Good luck!
How exciting. Can't wait to hear about (and participate in) your adventures! So next year is it a villa in Provence? :)
To anonymous - Of course I don't mind you reading my blog, but since I have no idea who you are, how could I? ;)
To Lorenzo - EXCELLENT idea re: Provence villa. Will add to the list of options!
Sounds very exciting - I think you are clearly living up to the title of your Blog. I will continue to read and offer pithy comments.
I like that you have so much unplanned. I'm hoping that allows you time to fall in love with an amazing man. That would make a good blog.
Post a Comment