- Bagdad Burning: Girl Blog from Iraq - a collection of posts from a mid-20s worldly Iraqi female who provides an 'on the ground' perspective of the American occupation. Excellent read, educational for us Westerners, and the dialogue continues on her live blog.
- The Closed Circle: I borrowed this from my flatmate's shelf. It was a quick, but involved, read about the entwined lives of lifetime friends in London.
- The Kite Runner: I couldn't put this book down. I even stayed up one night until 4:30am to get to the end. Luckily, I was home sick that week, so I could afford to sleep past noon the next day.
- Eats, Shoots, and Leaves: This book was promising. It's about punctuation, and written with the self-aware humour that I can relate to with my own obsessions. I think the problem is that punctuation isn't one of them. I know the basics, I consider myself to have above average competency, but even this book/author was too extreme for me. I couldn't absorb the humour as intended.
For my upcoming trip to the U.S. for Easter, I just purchased Come Back to Afghanistan and Nanotales by Ziv Navoth which I can't find on Amazon. I am reading through Nanotales fairly quickly as I commute to/from West Hampstead and Canary Wharf. In particular on Tuesday, when I traveled back and forth twice in an effort to retrieve my wallet that I essentially left on the front porch. I was amazed that it was still there with all contents intact when I frantically returned; it had sat there for an hour in full view of everyone walking by on the sidewalk. I am such a scatter-brain sometimes, but I never used to be...what's happening to me?

2 comments:
Kite Runner made me cry on the bus. I should know better than to read books like that on the bus.
I had some of the same issues with Eats, Shoots, and Leaves, and I AM sometimes a tad obsessed with punctuation. I think it was just too much for me. If each chapter had been a paragraph long, I might have liked it better.
See, I thought I had a thing for punctuation too. I definitely have opinions about it. But this book,..well it's so extreme that I felt embarrased about MY infatuation with it. It's like, I wouldn't want other people to think about me+punctuation in the same way I'm viewing this author...
Kite Runner was an amazing book. It was so good that I was able to overlook some of the too-obvious symbolism towards the end.
Post a Comment