Saturday, March 21, 2009

NZ: Highlights

After over two months in New Zealand, I feel that I saw most of the country, did nearly everything I wanted to do, and I now know where I would want to come back to on future visits. For my own benefit, if nothing else, I thought I would jot down some of my highlights from the past few months. In no particular order...
  • Wine tasting at vineyards and wine festivals all over the country (ok, well maybe that is at the top of the list for a reason)
  • Eating fresh lobster at a beachfront hostel on the East Cape
  • Taking naps on the bus
  • Playing "Spaceship" (spotting the Spaceship brand minivans - a Stray bus game)
  • Meeting up with other travellers all over the country, both planned and unplanned
  • "Backpacker" meal specials at hostels
  • Beautiful scenery absolutely every day
  • Stray morning tea and photo stops at places that I would have probably driven past on my own
  • Meeting fellow wine connoisseurs
  • A few fantastic splurge meals
  • Hikes, boat rides, rain forests, glaciers, islands and beaches - all in the same week!
  • Trying to surf again in Raglan
  • St. Patrick's Day in Queenstown
  • Random sleep ins on "days off"
  • Listening to hours and hours of everyone's iPod music on the bus
  • Reading nearly 20 books in 2 months
  • Understanding a bit more about my friend John :)
  • Opting out, jumping off the treadmill, or non-participating. Whatever you call it, it is nice not to work and to not read the news either
  • Visiting Kylie and seeing Melbourne
I may add to this list as I think of more things to add, but all in all, an excellent few months well spent in a beautiful location. I am really glad I wasn't rushed to see both islands and that I got to experience all climates and terrain that NZ has to offer. I found some great wines and made some great friends. Add to that good weather, and there isn't much more I need. :)

No comments: