Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fiji Observations

Despite only being in Fiji for three days and never making it out to the islands, I still got a flavour of things here, so I have summarised a few observations:

“Bula” is the universal Fiji greeting. It’s like Aloha to Hawaii. Everyone says it to you as a combined welcome/hello, even in written communication like emails and notice letters.

“Fiji time” is like “Tico time” in Costa Rica--slow, delayed, and laid back about it all. As a minor example, the hotel was supposed to start Quantum of Solace in the lobby at 7:00pm last night. They didn’t start it until 7:30pm and that was after two people went up to the front desk to ask. The staff didn’t seem too bothered by the delay and weren’t even apologetic. They weren’t rude about it, but it just doesn’t occur to them that it might bother us that they aren't even following their own timetable.

It is definitely humid here. My itinerary print outs are starting to curl a bit, my hair is super frizzy, and I am hanging my dirty laundry in the closet because I would rather have them air out there than stuff them into my backpack unnecessarily. The humidity creates a certain smell that I recognise from India - not a bad one, but it's hard to describe.

There are lots of frogs everywhere, although I am sure this is encouraged by the recent rain. I have seen several, large and tiny, on the pathways and on the patio of my room. They are harmless, and usually pretty cute as they hop around. I just have to be carefule to a. not step on one, and b. not screech if one hops towards me. :)

The mini-bar replenishes at my resort were two young looking guys toting one of those Igloo coolers with the extended handle on one end and two wheels on the other. I thought that was awesome that it was so casual. They stopped by today and when I told them that one of the waters had been already drunk by someone before I arrived (true!) they replaced it no problem from their cooler and continued on their way.

Staff I have encountered at the airport and both hotels have been moderately helpful, but not very efficient. They also seem rather slow. I won’t be so judgemental to say it’s all down to intelligence, but it’s like my various requests and questions take them some time to process, or maybe they just don’t care. They give me mostly accurate answers, but they don’t seem too bothered by anything, even though they are always pleasant. I guess it just seems that no one I have interacted here is very engaged with what they are doing or who they are interacting with, which is kind of odd. I am sure it is some sort of cultural difference that I can’t quite articulate.

Although my Fiji experience was not what I had planned or expected, I am okay with it. I am glad that I was able to change my flight without a fee to get to NZ early and I am grateful I had the hotel points to use for a kick ass resort for two nights. I am still optimistic about getting some money back for the tour, but in the meantime, I am looking forward to exploring New Zealand. I would love to return to Fiji someday, but perhaps I should plan it for the normal tourist season next time.

I am just departing for Auckland now (scamming free Internet from the Air Pacific VIP lounge somewhere in the building). I leave tomorrow for a 3 day trip up to the northernmost tip of the North Island and back. Then I will have a full week in Auckland before I start more touring, and I have several day trips in the area planned, including some wine tasting and ferry trips to nearby islands for hiking.

1 comment:

Brett said...

Love the insights...hotel dudes with the cooler is pretty funny, it's like a bar that serves PBR in a can