Sunday, February 17, 2008

Out of woods and back on track

Now that I'm over my three-week terrible, horrible, no good very bad cold*, I am getting back to some of my new years resolutions since left by the wayside. For starters, I've done yoga three days in a row, with a 30-minute run thrown in as well! And man, am I sore...but in a good way (except for when I first wake up and it hurts reach over for my phone and I temporarily forget what I've done to myself!)

The one thing I did keep up whilst being sick was cooking for myself every night and bringing lunch every day. I finally got a bit burned out of food preparation this weekend though and I simply foraged on Friday/Saturday, took myself out for brunch today, and bought ready-made food for this evening. Oh well!

I've also been fairly disciplined about not buying "stuff". I am duly watching my LoveFilm (aka Netflix) DVDs as they come in (this helps decrease watching crap TV) and I've been reading my books from the Wimbledon library. In fact, I was very proud of myself today that after seeing an exhibit at the British Library (and perusing the museum bookshop) and then spending another 30 minutes in a bearby used bookstore, I didn't come home with anything! That shows some restraint, let me tell you.

However, I did come across a Waitrose (basically a Whole Foods) and spend over £20 on god knows what (actually, yummy cheeses, pitted kalamata olives that I couldn't find at my local grocery stores, a table cloth for this Saturday's wine tasting, etc....). Food products, books and wine - yep, those are my weaknesses.

I finally watched the film Crash tonight on DVD. There were definitely scenes that made me uncomfortable to watch, scenes that made me cry, and scenes where I could scarily enough relate with the characters. So overall, I think it's a film that was worth making and is worth watching.

I'm starting the week without a project at work, but plenty to do none-the-less -- proposal responses, online training, following up with some client requests (for potential work), etc. Brea arrives on Thursday around the same time as a well-timed Ocado/Waitrose delivery with all the groceries we will need for the weekend and the wine tasting party on Saturday night. How very organised of me. ;)

*Did anyone else love this book when they were a kid? I sure did, but most people don't seem to have heard of it....

5 comments:

Frank Bresz said...

I remember the title of the book - I think my kids had it - unsure if I remember reading it.

Elizabeth said...

I did have that book as a kid, and the title was used as a quote a lot in our house.

Kate said...

Nope, don't remember the book. But I can relate today ("today" being relative; as it started @ home @ 6am, to work by 7:30am; then finally closing down @ 3am...ugh).
Hugs! K

Anonymous said...

Yup, I remember that book - in fact in elementary school we used it as a basis for writing our own version of it - so we each wrote our own 'terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day' book.

brea said...

Yes I remember it, yes I was one of those teachers that had kids write their own version of it and on a different note, I do find it funny that you thought I was the the waitrose delivery person because I showed up while their van was parked outside.