Monday, November 12, 2007

TT and Richmond Park

On Saturday morning, I was happily pottering about, drinking my coffee and putting out the wine glasses for the tasting that night. I also patiently waited for my Ocado delivery from the Waitrose food chain. I ordered all the food for the party that night, as well as every heavy or bulky item I could think of that I don't want to have to carry home from the grocery store - wine, beer, toilet paper, bottled water, sparkling water, canned goods, the list goes on. Anyway, I was also chatting on MSN with my friend John and found out that he had rented a really nice Audi TT for the weekend. Of course, his next stop was my house to take me out to lunch in it!

We drove around Southwest London, through Wimbledon, Putney and over to Richmond Park. Richmond Park is very large, 8 miles wide at one point and neither John nor I had been there before. We were slowly driving through the park, admiring the fields and trees and the glimpses of the City in the distance when we started to see deer, herds of them! They were just grazing and they weren't behind fences or anything. I have no idea how or why they are there, but it was incredible.



My pictures didn't come out too well since they were taking from a TT in motion but you get the idea. There were several bucks as well, with huge antlers. I was very impressed. After driving back towards Wimbledon, we stopped for lunch in the quaint Wimbledon Village, just up the hill from my neighborhood in Wimbledon. After a pint of Peroni and a plate of pasta, we were ready to head back to the house for some cheeky Billecart-Salmon rose champagne and last minute party prep!

The champagne party went very well, and on Sunday my new flatmate Janice, her friend Lisa, and my friend Eve all went up to the Village for brunch at Tootsie's, a supposedly American-themed chain. Considering the breakfast options were a traditional English fry up, Eggs Benedict with salmon, and salmon and scrambled eggs, I'm not sure what's American about it, but we weren't complaining. It was a cozy breakfast on a cold day.

I stopped by Argos on the way back to purchase Scrabble and a DVD player for some good old fashioned home entertainment. I also joined the local Blockbuster (yes, they have that chain here, unfortunately) and bought ingredients to make vegetarian chili. Enjoying a hot (as in temperature AND spicy) bowl of chili and a cold beer for dinner, beating Janice at two games of Scrabble, and then watching Mr. and Mrs. Smith, I thought, this has been an excellent weekend!

1 comment:

Kate said...

Nice wheels. I wish you were here for the champagne tasting - we've got nothing but champagne left after drinking all the wine here - we're not entertaining nor wine-shopping in Sonoma/Napa enough to replenish the stocks...and I get discounts @ Domaine Carneros and other sparkling wineries here. BTW, I still have your bday gift. At this point, it'll be a Christie-mas or maybe New Year's gift :) K