Sunday, August 07, 2005

At last..shopping bliss!

I think I’m finally starting to get the hang of shopping out here, at least for Western clothes. I spent 4 hours shopping on Sunday afternoon, and for only $180USD I was able to get the following: 1 pair of work slacks, 1 work shirt, 4 pairs of shoes (1 for work, and three pairs of casual flip-flops), two necklaces, a bathing suit, underwear/bra/socks, and 3 purses. Plus I picked up two more pairs of linen pants I had purchased last weekend and left for alterations. When I got back, it felt like I was opening bag after bag and remembering, oh yeah, I got that too! The downside is that Sunday is a busy shopping day, so most of the major stores had the amount of people in it that you see in the US at day after Christmas sales. At one store, I didn’t even bother waiting in the line for the “trial rooms” but instead just stood in front of the mirror and tried on shirts/skirts over my clothes.

Some of the shoes and purses I got at outdoor stalls where I had to bargain, which I absolutely hate doing. I talked them down by a few hundred rupees, just because I know that the initial price they give is much too high, but I wasn’t too concerned with getting the absolute best deal. I’m talking about a difference of an initial price of $11 then I’d get it for $8. Sure, I probably could have haggled down to $5 or $6, but really, it’s just not worth the effort for me. If anyone wants to fly out here to haggle for me, please, be my guest.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Good job re: bargaining - at least you didn't get fleeced. Even if you hate it, consider this good practice for the next time you want to ask for a raise, or buy a car, or a house in the US... In the meantime, learn what you can from the experience there (I'll recommend books if interested) - you may never LIKE bargaining but that skill will serve you well over time! :-)

Anonymous said...

I'd be very interested to hear your book recommendations, even if my sister would not.